Happy Halloween, readers! As you prepare for your fall festivities tonight, here are some helpful and safe tips from the Pasadena Police Department about trick-or-treating with your little ones.
Information taken from: http://cityofpasadena.net/police
HALLOWEEN SAFETY FOR KIDS, TEENS, AND PARENTS
• Don’t trick-or-treat alone. Walk in groups or with a TRUSTED ADULT.
• Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others see you.
• Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
• Always WALK and don’t run from house to house.
• Look both ways before crossing the street and use crosswalks wherever possible.
• If you are a young teen and going out with friends, make sure your parents know where you are going and who you are going with.
• Only visit well-lit houses and never go inside.
• Avoid wearing masks that block your view.
• Swords, knives, and similar costume accessories should be short and flexible to avoid injuries.
• Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
• examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
• Never accept rides from strangers.
• Carry a fully charged cellphone for emergencies.
Remember, if you “SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING” about suspicious activity or people lurking in your neighborhood or appear to be following you. Report observations promptly to your local police.
(Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevendepolo/5133674627)